Monday, November 17, 2014

The Beginning...




I'm unprepared.
It's kind of my thing.

Some people are neat freaks, or party animals, or free spirited. 

I'm unprepared. 
Always. 
And I embrace it. 

Coupled with the fact that I consistently overestimate my ability to complete almost anything successfully and quickly, makes me unstoppable. 

At least I thought so, until I actually made my first recipe and sat down to blog about it.  I had a few realizations....
  1. I don't know how to be a Blogger. Well, shoot. I better learn, like right now, because that's a big  part of having a blog. At least that's what I've heard.
  2. Blogging, even for someone who actually knows how to do it, seems to take time. More than I expected. Not surprising considering my aforementioned skill set.
  3. I'm not a detail person. Not a great trait when trying to translate old recipes with minimal methodology on the original. At least if the goal is for them to be edible. 
Wow.
I've realized a lot today. 
And I've got a couple things to work on before my next post. 
All this realizing has made me hungry, so let's bake something.

Today's recipe is Grandma's Apple Cake. I chose this as the first recipe because it's awesome; my grandma made it a lot;it's easy; and it's fall in Ohio so the apples are great.
So here it goes....

Grandma Zimmerman's Apple Cake

Ingredients
4 cups apples, finely diced (I used Gala, any variety will do)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups sugar
1 cup chopped walnuts*
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
pinch of salt

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease 9x13 pan.
  2. Combine diced apples, oil, and eggs in a large bowl.
  3. Add sugar, walnuts and vanilla. Stir.
  4. Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir until combined
  5. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
  6. Bake for 1 hour. 



*Nut allergies? We do! Walnuts can be omitted completely, or mix all ingredients except nuts and divide small portions into individual ramekins for those who can't consume walnuts. Stir nuts into the remaining batter and bake as directed. 

I hope you give this one a try! Let me know how it goes.
Thanks for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment