Friday, May 22, 2015

Rhubarb Sauce

I procrastinate.
Almost to the point of ridiculousness.
Logically, I know procrastination is a source of stress, yet I just can't seem to give it up.

Last year, I planted a new rhubarb patch...4 months later than planned.
I then proceeded to fret about my rhubarb all through this frigid winter we just emerged from.
Baby rhubarb!
I was worried the plants weren't well established enough before it got cold and I would never see them again.

Luckily, rhubarb is indestructable, and lo and behold I saw the first plant pop up around March and I was excited.
Unreasonably so, really.

Anyway, rhubarb is a versatile vegetable with lots of great uses.
The best thing about rhubarb may be that in Northeast Ohio it is the first crop to mature in the spring, giving us hope after a long winter.

Rhubarb sauce is always requested by the senior farmer each spring.
It's easy and can be used as it's own dish, like applesauce, or as a topping for icecream, or oatmeal, or biscuits, or anything else you can think of.

In truth, this is really less a recipe and more a series of suggestions, which is awesome because we all know measuring is seriously overrated.

Rhubarb Sauce

Ingredients
2 cups rhubarb, fresh or frozen
1/3 cup sugar-this amount will leave the sauce quite tart, adjust accordingly
1/4 cup water
1 Tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 Tablespoon cold water

Method
  1. Combine rhubarb, water and sugar in a medium sauce pan. 
  2. Cook over medium heat until boiling. Boil for 5 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, combine cornstarch and water.
  4. After the rhubarb mixture has cooked for 5 minutes, add cornstarch while stirring. 
  5. Cook an additional 1 minute. 
  6. Remove from heat and pour into a Mason jar, or other heat resistant container.
  7. Chill for 2 hours. 
Feel free to doctor this up with orange zest, or orange juice, or cinnamon. Or all three!

No comments:

Post a Comment