Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Happy New Year!

Well, I survived, did you?

I'm lovingly referring to the holidays, of course.

And I truly do love them, but when January roles around, I'm ready. 

I feel a slight twinge of melancholy as an end comes to the parties, decorations, shopping, wrapping, entertaining, eating, cooking, family gatherings and on and on and on. But then I realize it's a new year and there's lots to look forward to. It almost sounds fun to get organized and tidy everything up. Almost.

Okay. Let's be honest. It's fun to buy all the organizational stuff. The cute baskets and bins and closet organizers. The actual organizing isn't my specialty, and the novelty usually wears off around January 6th. 

But organize, I must. Hopefully during the process I'll come across the bag of overdue library books that are accruing fines, my son's book bag and the cheese grater. 

With the new year comes the end of Christmas vacation and back to school. 
To help cheer my son on as he headed back to school yesterday, I made his favorite meal last night. Dough balls(gnocchi) and meatballs are a staple around here. 

I hope you'll try this simple, hearty meatball recipe with your favorite people!

Meatballs and Sauce

Ingredients
1-1.5 lbs lean ground beef
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 egg
1 T. parsley flakes
1/2 t. salt
1/4 cup bread crumbs or cracker crumbs
2 T. olive oil
2-28oz. cans crushed tomatoes
2 t. dried basil
2 t. dried oregano
1/2 t. salt

Method
  1. Mix ground beef, garlic, egg, parsley, salt and breadcrumbs with hands until combined. Do not over mix. 
  2. Form into balls and refrigerate for an hour or more. 
  3. Heat olive oil in large skillet. 
  4. Gently place meatballs in hot skillet and brown, flipping once. 
  5. Add crushed tomatoes, basil, oregano and salt. 
  6. Simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.
  7. Serve with your favorite pasta or alone.  
These meatballs freeze well and are great in the crockpot too!

No comments:

Post a Comment