Wednesday, January 14, 2015

It's January, Smile!

Today my 2 year old said to me, "Mommy, it's a good day. The sun is shining right in my eyes, and I'm happy." 

These words of wisdom snapped me out of my Blah, it's Wednesday and it's bitter cold, and the sun is reflecting off of this stinking snow and making me squint, which is probably giving me wrinkles kind of mood.  

January is tough.
At least for me. 
Maybe it's the calm after the storm of the holidays. Or the cold weather. Or the lack of sun. Or the fact that it's still quite a while until spring. It's probably a combination of all of that.

The good news is, this too shall pass. 

In the meantime, my January survival techniques include:
  • Daily physical activity, because we know we feel better when we move
  • Vitamin D supplements, because it might be May before we see the sun again
  • Numerous daily Facebook chats with the funniest, most brilliant women I know, for sanity
  • Cooking and eating lots of vegetables, because they're tasty and good for you!
So here's an easy winter vegetable recipe . I even added bacon, for health purposes. 
Don't be afraid. 
Brussel sprouts are delicious and one of the most undervalued veg around. 


Give it a try. 
It's January, whaddya got to lose?

Ingredients
2 pounds brussel sprouts, washed and halved
6 slices bacon, chopped
2 Tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
I forgot to take the pic until after we ate almost all of them!

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a jelly roll pan with foil. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. In a large bowl combine sprouts, bacon, olive oil salt and pepper. 
  3. Dump sprout mixture onto prepared pan and spread evenly.
  4. Roast for 30 minutes or until tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment